Sunday, May 10, 2009

Leveraging another brand!

I saw this interesting advertisement by Amul that has leveraged the current craze of Zoozoos unleashed by Vodaphone!




It is always interesting to see one brand leverage another and raises many points in the mind of a marketer, such as which brand actually benefits. Would I recall Amul better because of the Zoozoos or have the Zoozoo’s just got some more incremental exposure. Of course, it could very well be that this is a collaborative effort! But, one thing is clear. Obviously the Zoozoos have become a craze and Amul - in their usual style of leveraging current trends have featured this.

Retail advertisements always feature other brands; but that is to inform the customers about the range and choice available. It helps build the retail brand as range is an important element in the value proposition. However, Private Label is emerging as the alternative to the brands. That’s another topic and shall deal with it later. (Someone, please remind me of all the topics I have promised to deal with later!!!)

I am reminded of another such advertisement, which was not a collaborative effort and was a pleasant surprise when I opened the paper to see it!


This advertisement for Yellow Pages appeared in Bangalore in 2002/ 03. The obvious message was the enormous consumer franchise that the stores had built up - strong enough for another brand to leverage the same. Did Foodworld benefit or did Yellow Pages garner more advertisements; I don’t know!


Personally, I treasure this advertisement as the best certificate or award anyone can give me for my role as the marketing head for RPG Foodworld. In fact, I have this advertisement framed and put up. This is a valuable part of my memorabilia. It would be remiss, if I did not mention here that this became a reality because of the pioneering team which worked like a well oiled machine, in which I was a cog. In that sense, this is a public acknowledgement for the team which built the first successful and sustainable supermarket chain of India. Never mind what it is called today!!! :-)

2 comments:

mandy said...

def remember that creative on your desk !!! but the subj that you have touched on might appear to be very simple at face of it but will always be like one of those debates bout who came first the chicken or the egg but a hope-full conclusion would be - if both benefit then whats to loose !!!

Shashwat said...

I liked that food world ad. Well about the zoozoo ad, i found them very interesting but somewhere I felt that they have overpowered the VODAFONE brand. But nevertheless it has given a fresh air to Vodafone

Post a Comment