Saturday, April 11, 2009

Timeless Endurance!

The picture is of my late father’s Rolex wrist watch which is more than 50 years old! This was gifted to him on the occasion of his marriage. I occasionally wear it and whenever I have taken it out to wind it up and wear it, it has worked like a charm without missing a beat.
My father used to tell a story about this watch which drives home the basis of what creates a sustainable brand value.

Once, after about 20 odd years of using the watch, it developed some problem. Coincidentally this was when he was travelling in Europe. He promptly took it for service to one of the Rolex centers in Geneva. The counter executive took a look at the watch and reverted that since the watch was more than 2 decades old, they would find it difficult to obtain the parts to service it, and even if they did it would take time. My father explained the sentimental value of the watch – that it was his wedding gift and he was given the Rolex because his wife’s father believed it was forever! He also told them that he was going back to India in just a couple of days and could they help?

The request was escalated and the service centre in-charge was called. He examined the watch and upon hearing the ‘value’ attached to it, assured my father that he would personally get the details pertaining to this model and have it serviced.

If I recollect correctly, the parts of the watch were procured from Rolex HO within 24 hours and the watch impeccably serviced and returned. All this in a day and age when Email, Internet or Mobile phones did not exist! And that was the last time it was serviced and that must have been more than a few decades ago. What a simple act, but such an impact. Strong enough; that I remember this story every time I wear the watch and today I am sharing the same with all of you. If I decide to gift something of timeless appeal, no prizes for guessing what I would buy.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

We speak about business strategies now and most of those reputed companies have a strong hold over the fact of putting customer upfront!

Nice post!!!

Cheers,
$undar

Post a Comment